Wednesday, December 23, 2009

My Little Green Thumb is the Apple of My Eye


Omar loves to play in the dirt, which he calls soil. The other day he wanted me to give him a seed, as if I have seeds at my disposal at any given time. I told him we'd buy some seeds the next time we went to the store. Meanwhile, I continue doing what I'm doing and notice that he and his little brother are eating apples. Shortly thereafter, Omar hands me half an apple, eaten to the core and tells me "Here Mommy, I'm done".

I get to thinking and ask him if he got seeds from the apple and he replies, "Yes!". Needless to say, I was pretty impressed at his industriousness and creativity.

The next time we went to the store I did buy some seeds though...wildflowers.

When I presented them to Omar to plant, I told him "you don't have to dig, you just have to scatter or sprinkle them around." He complained "but I want to dig." Yeah, I know, I know. I was taking the easy way out. Anyway, I handed them to him and explained that he could sprinkle them all around and even in a pot of dirt and weeds on our porch. Well, he simply took the envelope of wildflower seeds and pretty much dumped it out with one swoosh of his arm. We'll see in the spring if any come up...
Note to self: Need to find book "Johnny Appleseed", it just seems appropriate.

No comments:

Post a Comment